Why Are Obama’s Defenders In Denial?
When a middle age leftist, far past his prime (assuming he once had one) and writing for a dead rag (
Newsweak Newsweek, which sold for one dollar less than two years ago—no, not a copy of the magazine itself, but the whole Newsweek “enterprise”), puts out a standard piece of pro-Obama propaganda (Why Are Obama’s Critics So Dumb?), it’s now cause for other Obama apologists to get excited.
“Yay!” they think, “One of us is finally standing up for the President! How bold; how principled! Yay!”
Andrew Sullivan is the middle age leftist being addressed here (complete with the post-modern look of middle age: shaved head, goatee, and Starbuck’s glasses) and his ‘bold and principled’ take is that presidential criticism is a normal process, the result of Obama being in the last year of his term (as well as a passing acknowledgement that the economy is in the toilet and government debt–a euphemism for ‘the government’–is out of control).
So as it is, denial passes for analysis at Newsweek. The crux of the article is that anyone who disagrees with Obama (including the “enraged right” and the “demoralized left”) has lost their mind. Of course, such descriptions also set Obama up as a centrist, a laughable assertion.
A contra position is here from Nile Gardiner, and in paraphrase, the argument goes like this:
- Obama’s critics better understand the American people and the mood of the country than the Obama apologists.
- Obama’s critics reject the idea that government needs to keep getting bigger in order to work better and the idiocy that bureaucrats and regulators will make better decisions for the populace than the people themselves.
- Obama’s critics reject appeasement of America’s enemies, non-support of our friends and allies, and don’t see any reason to bow down and apologize for the United States.
- Obama’s critics believe that a presidential administration should behave with decorum, follow and honor the law, and show respect for opposing views.
- Obama’s critics know a gaffe-prone, embarrassing administration when they see one: many of these critics may, in fact, remember the Carter and Nixon administrations.
America is suffering from Obamunism, which can be defined as follows: a process designed to subvert the nation’s economy, ignore the nation’s laws, surrender the nation’s strength, and dissipate the nation’s freedom and character in order to move the nation towards the process initiator’s ideal.