As the saying goes, it isn’t the crime, it’s the cover-up.
But as far as it concerns Benghazigate, a plausible storyline has emerged which suggests it’s the crime and the cover-up. Consider the following:
1) the safe room wasn’t safe.
2) the nation’s CIA Director was purposefully not involved in other, ongoing clandestine operations in Libya which directly contributed to the Benghazi debacle.
3) the President had given carte blanche to John Brennan to covertly clean up some of the post-Arab Spring bad guys—terrorists who were part of the U.S. lead-from-behind/war-that-wasn’t-a-war effort to oust Kaddafi—using JSOC resources.
4) Ambassador Chris Stevens’ local “site security,” was five Libyans without weapons (as would be condoned by Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer), who may have aided and abetted in the security debacle.
5) the “spontaneous protesters” had rifles and RPGs, and later, used French-made mortars for deadly effect.
6) since the CIA didn’t know what was going on—this was a Brennan authorized JSOC campaign—they were unprepared for the Benghazi carnage that occurred.
7) The adultery of David Petraeus was an intentional outing by CIA insiders.
So, Mr. President—with all due respect—please explain 1) the legality, wisdom, and foreign policy/national security goals associated with U.S. operations in Libya and 2) the reasoning behind the purposeful deception in blaming the Benghazi debacle on a nearly comical YouTube video which had been posted months before.
In the meantime, as Depeche Mode might say, enjoy the silence.